Whether it’s been a few months or a few years postnatal, you can feel strong, healthy, and fit again! Focusing on your core, back, and hips, here are four easy workouts that you can do at home within 5-10 minutes a day.
It’s important to acknowledge the new reality first:
- Time is EXTREMELY limited
- Energy is in short supply
- You may have the desire one day but not the next
- Your abdominals may have separated
- Your hips may have changed
- Your hormones may have you feeling differently than you did prenatally
Identifying challenges upfront allows us to keep them in perspective, since getting fit and feeling your best is never easy. By acknowledging obstacles, they become more of a speed bump than a brick wall.
Day 1 back to exercise is always the hardest. We never really know what our bodies will be up for. So asking patience, compassion, and kindness of yourself, for yourself, is vital.
A few movements over a 5-10 minute workout is an effective place to start. Combined with some increased walking, you’ll be well on your way back to feeling comfortable in your own skin.
Once you get the first workout under your belt, it gets easier.
Since your core, back, and hips go through so much during childbirth, let’s start there.
4 exercises that have worked best for our busy mothers are:
- Lay on your back with knees bent, place fingers inside hip bones, open one knee and close it while controlling the other side.
- If that one feels ok, starting in the same position, straighten one leg and lower it slowly while controlling the rest of your body, and return.
- If that one feels ok, start supine with knees and hips at 90 degrees (off the floor) (1) bent knee foot to the floor and (2) straight leg reaching out and back.
- If that feels ok, side-lying clamshells with feet down and with feet up.
Honestly, the best way to follow along is to watch this video…
The first few workouts should be low intensity and more easily accomplished. Overshooting on Day 1 or Week 1 involves a less favorable risk vs reward ratio and we want you to be careful.
You can do this! You are worthy of giving yourself some of that care that you give to everyone else in your life. Start slow, acclimate, build, acclimate, and continue. You will start seeing and feeling the results.
I encourage you to give these moves a try today. Let us know how it goes. If you know of anyone who might benefit from this, feel free to share it with your friends.
You will get your body back and feel awesome soon!
Looking for more?
We offer a 12-Week Strategic Fitness program. It is a complete, science-based exercise program that will help you:
#1. Become consistent with exercise
#2. Reduce or eliminate chronic aches, pains, and injuries
#3. Improve total body strength and function
#4. Improve stamina, flexibility, balance, posture, agility, and coordination
#5. Learn simple, yet highly effective lifestyle modifications that will support you in your pursuit of better health and fitness.
The 12-Week Strategic Fitness program is available (upon purchase) directly on your cell phone and/or tablet via our Prana 365 app. Every exercise for every workout has a clear tutorial video to help you learn the best form possible. This isn’t a compilation of workouts, but a strategy in which workout #1 builds to workout #2 which builds to workout #3 and onward. What you do today, will prepare you for more challenging workouts in the weeks and months to come.
As part of signing up for this program and being one of our clients, you also receive 2-way communication with me throughout. I’ll hold you accountable for not missing workouts. I’ll celebrate every personal best with you. I’m there with you every step of the way.